The Guardian Campaign Mission Statement
The Guardian Campaign strives to bring about a more just, humane world by modeling responsible, caring and respectful language and behavior toward the animals and the people we encounter at home, in school and in our community.
The Guardian Campaign Goals
• To reinforce and improve levels of respect, responsibility and compassion toward all beings by encouraging children and adults to consider themselves and others as "guardians" of the animals in their community, rather than "owners" of property.
• To acknowledge through this verbal change the deep bond that forms between people and their animal companions.
• To recognize and appreciate the persons who consistently provide a safe, healthy, and loving environment for animals.
• To raise a new generation of children who have strongly internalized these ideals, and who will in turn better serve their communities as responsible guardians and citizens.
• To reconnect neighborhoods by restoring the values of empathy, protection, care and consideration toward family members, neighbors, children and animals in each community.
• To accomplish a historical shift toward a more humane public standard regarding animals by incorporating the term “animal guardian" into local and state ordinances.
• To render animal abuse, neglect, and abandonment socially unacceptable and to help increase child abuse and animal abuse case cross-reporting.
• To affect:an increase in the number of animals rescued and adopted into good homes, a sustained reduction in the number of animals killed in shelters, and a sustained reduction in the number of animals sold for personal and/or commercial profit.